Export Info Hotline 303-518-6420 or 303-328-8830.
Anyone wanting to do any international shipment MUST read and understand the UCAR Export Policy.
UCAR Export Manual
What Is an Export?
The transfer of anything to a foreign person (non U.S. Person) by any means, anywhere, anytime, or the knowledge of what you are transferring to a U.S. person, will be further transferred to a foreign person.
Proposed exports may take any one or more of three forms:
- Shipment of a commodity, software or technology outside the United States (an "Export Shipment")
- Disclosure of software or technology outside the United states (an "Export Disclosure")
- The release of technology or source code to foreign persons in the United States (a "Deemed Export").
Who Regulates Exports?
U.S. Department of State through its International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulates the export of defense articles (22CRF)
U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) through its Export Administration Regulations (EAR) regulates the export licensing of items (15CFR)
U.S. Department of Treasury through its Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulates transactions with nations subject to U.S. embargoes and trade sanctions (31CFR).
What Is Regulated for Export?
The following items are subject to the Export Administration Regulations:
- All items in the United States, including in a U.S. Foreign Trade Zone or moving in-transit through the United States from one foreign country to another;
- All U.S. origin items wherever located;
- U.S. origin parts, components, materials or other commodities incorporated abroad into foreign-made products, U.S. origin software commingled with foreign software, and U.S. origin technology commingled with foreign technology.
What Export Needs an Export License?
That depends. What are you shipping? Where is it going? Who will receive it? What will it be used for? Who is the end user? Are there any military purposes? What is the Export Commodity Control Number? What is the Harmonized Tariff System Number?
There are many pieces to the puzzle that must be assembled before a determination for an export license can be completed.
An International Shipping Questionnaire can be downloaded here. Once completed, Logistics Operations or the UCAR Senior Export Control Officer, Jeff Reaves, can perform an export audit.
Need to know more?
Please contact Kerry Slaven x1151 or Joseph Lujan x8219 with any exporting questions. Logistics Operations offers complete packaging, labeling, and documentation services in addition to an export license audit.
Bureau of Industry and Security/Department of Commerce
Export Administration Regulations
BIS Online Training
U.S. Department of State Regulations
International Shipping FAQ's