Medical Emergencies and First Aid Requests
- Call 911 from ML, FL, CG, and Marshall Field Site to page the MERT (Medical Emergency Response Team)
- Call 9911 from JEFFCO and SAM’s Warehouse for Emergency care
- For First Aid at JEFFCO you will need to use campus intercom to contact the MERT
What should an employee do when they, a co-worker, or visitor is sick or injured?
Call the emergency number as listed above. The 911 calls will be answered by the ML security/front desk staff 24/7. The caller must convey:
- the nature of the emergency;
- where the injured or ill person is located (building and room number).
The front-desk receptionist will page MERT (during normal business hours) and may call 911 dispatch for additional help. MERT members, who carry first aid supply kits, will respond and provide standard first aid or begin CPR and will stay with the injured party until EMS arrives.
What is the MERT?
MERT (Medical Emergency Response Team): MERT is a group of employee volunteers, drawn from all UCAR sites, who receive training in adult first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).They:
- carry first aid supply kits;
- will respond and provide standard first aid or begin CPR and stay with the injured party until EMS arrives.
- MERT will not :
- transport injured or ill party to the local Medical Facility;
- provide routine medical monitoring (as blood pressure, temperatures);
- dispense medications.